Gómez Cruzado Montes Obarenes Rioja Blanco

A complex, barrel-fermented 'terroir' white Rioja with a strong Atlantic feel of freshness
Country, Region: Spain, Rioja
Grape: Viura, Tempranillo Blanco
Vintage: 2017
ABV: 13%
Food friend: Creamy sauces
£44.99 Single bottle
Qty:
Tasting Notes
Producer details
In the vineyard
In the winery
Food Recommendations
Awards
 

Old bush vine Viura adds complexity and a backbone of minerality balancing the textural ripe fruit and smooth, spicy oak. The finish is rich and long.

The Gómez Cruzado winery dates back to 1886 when Angel Gómez de Arteche started to produce and bottle his own wine in Haro, at the very heart of Rioja Alta. This was in the day when the wine trade between Rioja and France passed along the Tudela-Bilbao line, and the key Rioja wineries were located around the station of Haro. The winery sits just 100m from the station to this day. Subsequently bought by Angel and Jesus Gomez Cruzado in 1916, and more recently by the Baños family, David González (winemaker) and Juan Antonio Leza (viticulturalist) now head up the winemaking team. They have been working with Gomez Cruzado for over 10 years, crafting wines from vineyards of old bush vines in the most elevated areas of Rioja Alta and Alavesa. Vines grow in poor, white, chalky-clay soils, on sunny slopes at the highest part of the sierra (up to 750m altitude) - where the Mediterranean and Atlantic climates meet. The area produces wines with freshness and elegance.

The fruit is sourced from vineyards near Haro, at the foot of Montes Obarenes, where soils are chalky-clay with high limestone content. Here the River Ebro enters the Rioja region bringing clouds and cooler temperatures, resulting in excellent quality white grapes.

Predominantly Viura, with 25% Tempranillo Blanco. The grapes are hand-picked into 200kg crates and are hard-sorted further at the winery. 80% of the must is fermented and aged on fine lees in new French oak barrels, and the remaining 20% is aged on fine lees in egg-shaped concrete tanks.

The wine is a characterful partner to full-flavoured, cream-laden dishes

GOLD - 2016 Vintage - Sommelier Wine Awards 2020

You May Also Like

Queiron Reserva Vinedos Familiares
10 years in the making, this is a fine expression of only the best Tempranillo and Graciano.
more

Queiron Reserva Vinedos Familiares

Spain, Rioja
£38.99
Single Bottles
Gómez Cruzado Honorable Rioja
Decanter World Wine Awards 2021, Gold Medal winning richly flavoured Rioja, years in the making.
more

Gómez Cruzado Honorable Rioja

Spain, Rioja
£33.50
Single bottle
£185.00
Wooden case of 6
C.V.N.E Contino Rioja Reserva 2018
93 points James Suckling and Wine Enthusiast, fabulous Rioja of excellent fruit and elegant oak.
more

C.V.N.E Contino Rioja Reserva 2018

Spain, Rioja
£26.50
Single bottle
C.V.N.E Contino Rioja Gran Reserva 2014
A rare release of Contino's Gran Reserva from their best parcels, beautifully stylish and rich
more

C.V.N.E Contino Rioja Gran Reserva 2014

Spain, Rioja
£64.99
Single bottle