Wieninger Wiener Riesling

Vibrant textured Riesling from this pioneer of the “New Vienna” wine movement, combining a sense of modernity with traditio
Country, Region: Austria, Vienna
Grape: Riesling
Vintage: 2021
ABV: 13%
Food friend: Thai Curry
£19.99 Single bottle
Tasting Notes
Producer details
In the vineyard
In the winery
Food Recommendations

Pale lemon in colour, this dry Riesling displays intense aromas of fresh citrus and stone fruit. The palate is vibrant and textured, balanced by juicy acidity.

Fritz Wieninger is considered a pioneer of the “New Vienna” wine movement, combining a sense of modernity and progress with the traditions of the region and of his family, who have been making wine for over 100 years. “I try to use the numerous facets of my grape material,” Fritz says. “To be able to show the differences in site and vintage and to get the character of the vineyard into the bottle - this is my greatest challenge.”

This wine is a blend of Riesling grown in the vineyards of Bisamberg and Nussberg. 65% of the grapes are sourced from Bisamberg, where the soil is comprised of light, sandy loess over limestone, and the remaining 35% is grown on the limestone chalky soils of Nussberg. The Bisamberg fruit delivers apricot-toned characters, while the Nussberg expresses mineral and peach flavours. Blending the fruit from these contrasting sites adds depth and complexity to the final wine.

The grapes were hand harvested and then underwent a second careful selection through an automatic grape sorter. Once at the winery, maceration took place for five hours after which the grapes were gently pressed. Temperature-controlled fermentation occurred using spontaneous yeasts in stainless steel tanks to preserve freshness and purity. The wine was aged on its fine lees for approximately three months in order to add roundness to the palate. No oak was used in the winemaking process and bottling took place in March.

Thai green chicken curry.

You May Also Like

Sorry! Products not found