M. Chapoutier Hermitage Chante-Alouette

100% Marsanne, the wine is pronounced with phenomenal balance and structure from these kings of the Rhone, consistantly receiving 93+ points
Country, Region: France, Rhone
Grape: Marsanne
Vintage: 2018
ABV: 14%
Food friend: Creamy chicken
£58.50 Single bottle
Qty:
Tasting Notes
Producer details
In the vineyard
In the winery
Food Recommendations
In the press
Awards
 

This wine is complex but subtle, with aromas of quince, walnut, honey, ginger and acacia with a hint of linden-tree. On the palate it's elegant and mineral with a beautiful weight and a luxuriously long finish.

With roots dating back to 1808, M. Chapoutier is one of the oldest companies in the Rhône Valley. Yet, its world renown and the quality of wine can truly be accredited to the arrival of Michel Chapoutier in 1990. His willingness to change the set way, thirst for knowledge and open-mindedness, together with his drive to seek, discover and reflect the full potential of the terroirs, letting the soils express their true character, has put their wines firmly on the wine world map.

The grapes from which this wine is produced comes from three different vineyards: 'Le Méal', characterised by a soil of very old fluvial-gracial alluvial deposits with a high pebble content. 'Les Murets', whose soil is clay-gravel, where the red clay give the wines a full, rich character. 'Chante-Alouette', a high-lying terroir whose soil is a mixture of loess and very finely decomposed granite, it gives the wine freshness, salinity and acidity. The different plots are mainly located in the Ermite lieu-dit area, on high plateaus and plains with excellent exposure.

Grapes are hand-harvested at maturity. The musts are obtained after a long pressing and are lightly settled before fermentation. Part of the fermentation is carried out in stainless steel tanks and part in demi-muids. The lees are are stirred up (bâtonnage) for the first 2-3 months adding texture to the wine. 40-30% takes place in stainless steel vats. The remaining 60-70% is aged in 600l barrels, 10% of which are made of new wood and 90% of wood previously used for one to three wines.

Perfect with fish or poultry in creamy sauces and can match up well to oriental flavours and spice.

96 points - Wine Spectator 93 points - James Suckling 93 points - Vinous 95 points - Wine Enthusiast

16.5+/20 points - Jancis Robinson. "100% Marsanne, cask sample, tasted blind. Nutty, sweetly spiced nose with fleshy stone fruit aromas. Creamy, soft palate with buttery flavours and ripe fruit."

You May Also Like

M. Chapoutier Vacqueyras Avarum
Vegetarian
Vegan
From these champions of the Rhône, a generous, intense wine with boundless silky elegance.
more

M. Chapoutier Vacqueyras Avarum

France, Rhone
£24.99
Single bottle